[sugar] map

Erik Blankinship erikb
Mon Mar 10 22:06:53 EDT 2008

We've built a map activity for the xo.  It allows kids to add images and
videos to maps.  We envision kids will use it for storytelling, history, and
science projects.  Here are some features: You can save and annotate map
locations so you can jump back to those locations later.  Kids can grab
screenshots of map locations so they can embed these images into other
activities like write and paint.  There is also a "density" feature which
visualizes how many media are clustered in a certain area.  Kids can also
filter which media are displayed on the map by searching their tags (set in
the journal or in record).

Here are some technical details: the map activity connects to a web server
to retrieve a html page which then connects to google maps (but could
connect to a map engine on the school server).  Embedded mozilla is used for
html rendering.  Childrens' media is kept local on the xo.  A localhost web
server, written entirely in python and listening on two sockets (one for
ajax and one for comet), handles requests from that initial html page. The
localhost web server displays media at the correct latitude and longitude
and also responds to events such as gtk button firings.  This hybrid
solution is like google gears and adobe air, and lets people fluent in
javascript develop activities on the xo.

There might be some bugs in this initial release, but we'd like to share it
with the community for their feedback and testing.  Let us know what you
think.

The .xo file:
http://mediamods.com/public-svn/map-activity/tags/xo/map-1.xo

And the server software: