[sugar] google gears rpm update

David Van Assche dvanassche
Wed Jul 9 09:08:14 EDT 2008

> Good. So you have a build that gets you the right GG for FF3 on F9 -
> almost there :-) If you are testing with Browse, bear in mind that we
> may need different tweaks - as I suspect Browse is closer to FF2 than
> to FF3, but Tomeu will probably know better. Of course, we first need
> the FF3 targetted RPM - easier to test, and to get into Fedora.

yep, as soon as there is a working svn branch, I'll be able to inject the gg
code into FF3 quite easily (xulrunner-1.9 --install-app /path/to/.xpi_file)
does this...

> > 2. This leads me to the conclusion that there must be some files being
> > generated elsewhere that somehow activate the gears libraries...
>
> Or that you have an API mismatch (if you are testing with Browse
> rather than with other FF3 install) or perhaps missing libs?

I've been testing on both FF3 and browse, with tomeu's help...

> > 3. Taking out the BROWSER=FF3 and leaving it BROWSER= makes the build
> crash
> > with:
>
> Ugh! Maybe that is a broken revision?

According to the comments on the svn trunk, they say they fixed this error
for linux... so I guess it is broken, and the google gears guys know it
exists, but aren't testing their fixes entirely... because I downloaded the
latest trunk and the exact one that contains the linux fix comment, and the
break is in the same place as before...

> > 4. Seeing as Gears is currently a beta product for developers only, this
>
> Let's try for the right answer :-) The XPI is probably a zipfile, grab
> it, unzip it and see what's there...

This I have done, and was using in order to create the spec file... but
there are many files missing in the svn trunk build... so wait for the
google gears devs we must...

> > 1. wait till the gears devs give me an answer/fix the compile so all
> items
> > get created
>
> Let's try for that :-) we'll hopefullyuse that rpm for many years to
> come...

wow... this has been quite a journey... I'll make sure I document the
procedure so hopefully it will help others wanting to create plugins for
browse and FF3 as rpms...