[sugar] google gears rpm update

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff
Wed Jul 9 08:53:32 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 4:41 AM, David Van Assche <dvanassche at gmail.com> wrote:
>    I've run into some more obstacles and learned a little more about
> gears...

Excellent!

> 1. Having built gears from the svn trunk source for both Fedora and Ubuntu
> (sudo make BROWSER=FF3 CC=gcc34 CXX=g++34 MKSHLIB=g++34 MODE=opt -- for
> Fedora), I have verified that on an already installed gears in firefox, if
> you replace the 2 files libgears.so and gears.xpt, this updates the system
> to the latest gears (in this case 4.2.0) This leads me to believe that those
> 2 files are the ones we need to manually place in the
> /usr/lib/mozilla/{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}/ but doing that
> doesn't work though it should
> (http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Installing_extensions)

Good. So you have a build that gets you the right GG for FF3 on F9 -
almost there :-) If you are testing with Browse, bear in mind that we
may need different tweaks - as I suspect Browse is closer to FF2 than
to FF3, but Tomeu will probably know better. Of course, we first need
the FF3 targetted RPM - easier to test, and to get into Fedora.

> 2. This leads me to the conclusion that there must be some files being
> generated elsewhere that somehow activate the gears libraries...

Or that you have an API mismatch (if you are testing with Browse
rather than with other FF3 install) or perhaps missing libs?

> 3. Taking out the BROWSER=FF3 and leaving it BROWSER= makes the build crash
> with:

Ugh! Maybe that is a broken revision?

> 4. Seeing as Gears is currently a beta product for developers only, this

Let's try for the right answer :-) The XPI is probably a zipfile, grab
it, unzip it and see what's there...

> So... I have a finished rpm spec file, with everything it requires, but
> unless I get the missing files that are in the .xpi, I've now come as far as
> I can go. This means 2 paths forwards...
>
> 1. wait till the gears devs give me an answer/fix the compile so all items
> get created

Let's try for that :-) we'll hopefullyuse that rpm for many years to come...

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions