[sugar] new 8.2.0 beta joyride - upgrading via control panel ?

C. Scott Ananian cscott
Tue Aug 12 12:03:45 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> On 11 Aug 2008, at 15:13, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
>
>> Please send me sugar logs for any activity update control panel
>> failures, along with details on what activity it was attempting to
>> download at the time.  Please be sure you are using joyride-2266 or
>> later, and that you have suspend turned off.
>
> OK, will do. Can you hint where update control panel will be logging? I
> looked for them in vain when I was having problems with it.

The should be in 'shell.log', although sometimes you can get better
diagnostics by invoking the updater from the command line in Terminal:
'sugar-control-panel -g available_updates' and 'sugar-control-panel -s
install_updates all'.  (Use 'sugar-control-panel -l',
'sugar-control-panel -h available_updates', and 'sugar-control-panel
-h install_updates' for more information.)

>> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 6:59 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> then one day, it just worked. The usual behavior seems to be that it
>>> will succeed to upgrade most of the activities and report failures on
>>> a handful, offering to try again (although it is not clear that that
>>
>> I am not terribly interested in bug reports on this particular
>> behavior:
>
> Yea Scott, this really shows, it's hard to know what's at fault when things
> just stop for no obvious reason ? but I know you core folks are real busy,
> so I don't take offence and hope the rest of the Activity developers don't
> either.

Although at times I can be cranky, what I'm really trying to
communicate is the proper assignee for these bugs (ie, the activity
authors).  I'm trying to be very responsive to bugs in the core update
functionality, so it's worthwhile for reporters to clearly distinguish
their reports, lest I overlook a core bug hidden among the rest.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, we've got folks working on updated
templates for the activity info pages, which should make version skew
much less of a problem in the future, so I'm not going to spend a lot
of time working on temporary issues relating to version skew until
we've got the "real solution" in place.

> Has any one oficially put out a clear heads message for the Activity
> authors, documenting the change for future release? Or are we all meant to
> go geek through the updater source and try and work out what's going on. I
> read the lists and track pretty closely, I'm sure most don't, I think I saw
> a single paragraph kicking around the wiki.laptop.org somewhere ? hmmmm ? OK
> found it, so this is now the official request and we (Activity developers)
> should pick it up and run?
>
>        http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activity_bundles#.info_File_Format

That was the canonical source of documentation, yes.  (Single
paragraph is a bit misleading; there's quite a lot of information
available on the activity microformat page linked from that
paragraph.)  There is a mention of the new functionality in the
release notes (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_Notes/8.2.0#New_Activity_Updater),
but that could be more prominent.

I just wrote more comprehensive documentation at:
   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Software_update
I hope that is helpful to activity authors!

Michael, could you see that this URL is referenced prominently in your
next test build announcement?
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )