[sugar] sugar roadmap

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Mon Apr 14 14:45:44 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 2:59 AM, Patrick Dubroy <pdubroy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
>  [snip]
>
> >  True, I'm afraid too that at the short and medium term hackers won't
>  >  be scratching their itches in Sugar. But is also true that for many
>  >  people, making education more accessible is one of the main itches in
>  >  their lives. Those people are there, but will take time to pick them
>  >  from the crowd.
>
>  Has there been any thought in trying to position Sugar as a more
>  general-purpose desktop? I don't see it as being particularly
>  child-specific. It might also appeal to people who are looking for a
>  simple, no-nonsense interface, especially to install on older machines
>  or some of these new sub-notebooks that are getting popular.

Certainly.

>  >  >  Another option would be to create a version of Sugar that appeals to
>  >  >  programmers. But I can't imagine creating such a version that wouldn't
>  >  >  require a lot of programming resources.
>
>  So here's another question: are any of the Sugar developers using it
>  as their desktop shell? I was thinking of giving that try. If all the
>  Sugar developer were eating their own dogfood, I'll bet you'd get a
>  programmer-friendly system in a hurry. In fact, I don't see why it
>  would be considered to be programmer-friendly already -- it's got
>  terminal and a text editor, what more do you need? ;-)

Yes, but we are so few developers that until now we have decided to
focus on the most immediate goals. But if you wanted to give it a try
and post the missing features that you think are most needed, you're
more than welcome.

For sugar development, I have dreamed on a sugar shell nested inside
an activity, so you could restart that nested shell without loosing
your open activities, etc

>  Anyhow, speaking as someone who has only very recently gotten involved
>  with the project, I can say that the Sugar interface was one of the
>  most appealing things to me. I'm sure there are other  potential
>  contributors out there who would be attracted for the same reasons.

Yes, I hope that the community grows soon to a point where newcomers
are better welcomed and contributions better received.

Thanks,

Tomeu