[sugar] Importing objects from journal

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Wed Sep 26 20:27:36 EDT 2007

> > I think the point of confusion here is that some activities create
> > *multiple* entries.  These entries, as output of a single activity,
> > are closely associated with the session which created them.  In this
> > case, the session is the "roll of film" and the associated entries are
> > the individual photos.
>
> > Is there a way to associate these that maintains the security model?
>
> Certainly. Sugar just has to tell Rainbow "The user is resuming activity
> X. Please give it A, B, C."

This sounds like what we're after, really. The question is how Sugar
can know what A, B, and C are.  Either the activity has to start and
give Sugar the list of things it wants, or Sugar has to figure it out
on its own.  If A, B, and C share some common identifier in their
metadata this could be used to determine what to give X (by passing a
query to the DS for anything having the same activity ID, for
instance).  Does that fit your thinking?  We'd have to adjust the
Sugar to provide this service in this case.

> Or it has to say "Activity X wants write-access to user documents. Okay?"
> And if Rainbow says "Go for it", then Sugar asks the user to select some
> documents. Then Sugar tells Rainbow "Okay, in response to Activity X's
> request #xxx, the user picked A, B, C. Please give them to the
> activity."

This is good for an awful lot of uses, but not that which I bring up.
Obviously requiring explicit user action is not what we want for the
"roll of film" case.

> Finally, Sugar could say to Rainbow: "Activity X wants read-only access
> to some user documents and I have picked out A, B, C for it."

Read-only probably won't be strong enough for the case I'm thinking of.

- Eben