[sugar] Xnee as a tutorial/demonstration tool

Noah Kantrowitz kantrn
Tue Jun 26 08:18:16 EDT 2007

Jean Pich? wrote:

> We want to check how people feel about X event recording on the XO.
> We have installed the Xnee system (http://www.gnu.org/software/xnee/)
> on the machine and it is capable of recording and playing back any
> combination of user actions (pointing, typing, clicking, etc.).
>
> We plan to use Xnee to make a number of short recordings that take
> over the machine and demonstrate how TamTam can be used. One
> advantage is that playback of the actions shows the program itself
> working. Another is a very small footprint for demos compared to,
> say, html docs or flash presentations. libXnee is typically less than
> 400k and installs without too much pain.
>
> Before we get too heavily involved in developping these demos, are
> there issues we should be aware of ? Security? Can we count on the
> Xnee ressources being part of the standard system services ?

Faking X events will be controlled via a bitfrost permission. In
general, if your app doesn't require this functionality it would be
preferable from a security standpoint if you could find a different way
to do this, but it is up to you. The one thing to be aware of is that
permission is considered one of the "high security" ones, and is not
requestable by unsigned apps. This means that if someone makes a
modified version of TamTam and distributes it, such a feature will not
work without the user explicitly granting the new activity the needed
permission.

--Noah