[sugar] Rebe

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki
Thu Jun 21 17:35:55 EDT 2007

  Eben,

> I think the biggest point to be made here is an argument for a "document" or "object" of sorts.  Etoys definitely seems
> to have most of the types of interaction and media embedding solutions I believe Rebecca and I both want, but (as far as
> I know, though I admittedly don't know that much) it does so in an all encompassing environment.  What we really need is
> a lightweight format that lets one pass around these "scratchpads" or "collages" as objects, so the teacher can create a
> file, pass it out as homework, etc.  I could be very wrong in my assumptions, though, so please correct me where I am.
>  I see lots of potential for Etoys, and I'd like to better understand how it integrates with Sugar now, and how we can
> push it in the most effective direction.

  Currently, for historical reasons, an EToys "project" is saved into
a file (relatively small, but can be big if you use a lot of media)
called a project file or (".pr" file).  The file can be passed around:
If the user type an URL for a .pr file into XO's browser, it fetches
the file from the server and launch Etoys with it.  In short, you can
just think that a .pr file is a document file for the Etoys
application.

  We do have a higher-level document format (document formats, to be
precise) and thinking to migrate that.

  Also, we are almost ready to merge the drag-and-drop code that lets
the user to drag an Etoys object onto the frame, and paste it into
Write and other activities (and vice versa).  This drag-and-drop code
lets the user copy and paste text as well.

-- Yoshiki