[sugar] binary file in tamtam.git

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpg
Tue Feb 27 10:23:33 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 10:07 -0500, Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Stephen Thorne wrote:
>
> > I just had a chat with Nat about this issue. Apparently the method
> > currently used for working on TamTam is to jump on an XO, clone the
> > git tree, and start hacking. This is why the so file is there.
>
> ...which, of course, limits the number of potential hackers (and, more
> importantly perhaps, testers/users/enthusiastic advocates) to the number
> of people who (a) have an XO and (b) understand the issues around this .so
> file.
>
> We can *radically* increase the number of eyeballs in a hurry here by
> ensuring that TamTam works from jhbuild-sugar out of the box.

A big problem for this to happen is that csound has a not "standard"
build system. We will either have to write a custom jhbuild thing to
build it or depend on external rpms.

> > You suggest being able to get the correct .so file off a server, that
> > sounds feasable. Is there a way of making git do this when it knows
> > it's being cloned onto a system that's an XO? Or possibly TamTam could
> > download it when it first runs and it notices it is missing...
>
> Well, since it's only a problem for jhbuilders, why not add a "tamtam-bin"
> dependency in jhbuild that gets this .so as a tarball and dumps it in the
> right spot?  (Unless I've misunderstood the problem...)

The right solution here is probably to build the .so instead of using a
binary. Sugar bundle builder does not support building C code yet, but
it should be easy to add something to tamtam setup.py to do it.

Marco