[sugar] binary file in tamtam.git

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk
Tue Feb 27 10:11:25 EST 2007

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Stephen Thorne wrote:

> I just had a chat with Nat about this issue. Apparently the method
> currently used for working on TamTam is to jump on an XO, clone the
> git tree, and start hacking. This is why the so file is there.

...which, of course, limits the number of potential hackers (and, more
importantly perhaps, testers/users/enthusiastic advocates) to the number
of people who (a) have an XO and (b) understand the issues around this .so
file.

We can *radically* increase the number of eyeballs in a hurry here by
ensuring that TamTam works from jhbuild-sugar out of the box.

> You suggest being able to get the correct .so file off a server, that
> sounds feasable. Is there a way of making git do this when it knows
> it's being cloned onto a system that's an XO? Or possibly TamTam could
> download it when it first runs and it notices it is missing...

Well, since it's only a problem for jhbuilders, why not add a "tamtam-bin"
dependency in jhbuild that gets this .so as a tarball and dumps it in the
right spot?  (Unless I've misunderstood the problem...)

--g