[sugar] collaboration, technical means?

Martin Sevior msevior
Wed Feb 7 19:18:39 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 19:51 +0100, J.M. Maurer wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 14:00 -0600, Ryan Pavlik wrote:
> > Ivan Krsti? wrote:

> > > How do you mean?
> > >

> > AbiWord has a custom collaboration system (AbiCollab) developed by the
> > finest AbiWord hackers and which will be featured on all platforms (with
> > some UI luck) in the next major release.  It is my understanding that
> > OLPC will use a specific backend (TCP instead of Jabber, but I may not
> > know what I'm talking about) for word processor collaboration.  Based on
> > my experience within the AbiWord project, it seems as though
> > collaboration may be the responsibility of each activity, rather than
> > any sort of all-encompassing system.
>
> For the presence stuff, AbiWord will use the OLPC presence system. For
> the transport system, I plan to use plain TCP for now, as it clearly
> involves less overhead than XMPP.

I have written up a lot of the algorithms AbiCollab uses.

It's on our wiki here:

http://www.abisource.com/twiki/bin/view/Abiword/AbiCollab

Depending on how the mesh network sets itself up, this does not
necessarily need the school server for Marc's tcp transport backend.

For other applications to use something like our techniques for peer to
peer collaboration requires:

A. A genuine Model-View-Controller architecture.
B. A complete undo/redo architecture with something like our
"change-records" for describing document changes.
C. A fine grained document model that allows changes in different parts
of document without large scale recomputation of the layout.

Cheers

Martin