[sugar] xo bundle mime-type

Gervase Markham gerv
Fri Apr 20 16:25:56 EDT 2007

Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> This is what Jim suggested and Tomeu put in the current implementation:
>
> application/vnd.olpc-x-sugar
>
> I can't find the ticket is suggested it on anymore and I don't remember
> the rationale though.

If you are going to register a spot in the vendor tree (vnd.) then you
don't need the unofficial "-x-" any more, because you control the space.
But if this is an open standard and not related to one particular
company or group, then perhaps it's not the right place. "vnd" smells to
me of the old days when every proprietary company had their own file format.

Having said that, we went for application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml for XUL.
Although that was a few years ago now.

Also (and I don't know anything about the technical side of how these
packages work), isn't "sugar" just the name for the GUI? If I shipped an
HTML app in one of them, isn't the string "sugar" inappropriate?

Gerv