[sugar] eBook ideas

Don Hopkins dhopkins
Fri Apr 6 23:10:52 EDT 2007

Samuel Klein wrote:
> A delayed response: I do think there should be a separate 'library'
> activity, and whether it is part of the browser or not, that is the right
> place to access "browse books" and "browse audio materials" and "browser
> [X] to download".
>
> Perhaps on the XO, this activity is tied intimately with the object store,
> and is an interface to it.  This kind of activity/interface should also be
> available to people not using an XO who browse to a library portal... that
> version should run in a browser.
>
> SJ

That sounds like a good idea: factoring out the Internet Archive library
browser (and other library browsers) into a separate library activity,
instead of building it into the eBook reading activity.

The Internet Archive has an HTML and a ReST search interface, and the
results can come back as RSS feeds.
I think it would be nice to provide an easy to use Sugar user interface
for browsing and searching the library, instead of raw html in a
browser. Can we easily plug the penguin tv RSS feed reader or another
RSS reader component into the library activity?

I'd like to avoid a 1:1 mapping between mime types and activities, the
way current web browsers work (or fail to work).
That way leads to nothing but madness and mime type hijacking.
When downloading a supported mime type, the user should have some way to
choose which activity it's sent to, and easily setting the default.

What can you tell me about the summer of code project "soc-eds":
External eBook data sources via Summer of Code?

    -Don