[sugar] Abiword on the OLPC?

MBurns maburns
Fri Oct 20 20:42:02 EDT 2006

On 10/20/06, Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org> wrote:

> Our primary focus in the long term is to use a wiki-based collaborative
> editing system, currently in design.

While a realtime system in the form of a native text editor (See:
SubEthaEdita on OS X, and others) is an ideal way to get kids to
collaborate, if a wiki-based system has been chosen, I'll look forward to
helping with that as it becomes available.

That being said, abiword's capabilities as a light-weight Microsoft Word
> display program (and, for the moment, editor) is very attractive.

Indeed. It's interface is quite complex, but it has a great bit of
usefulness that comes with it.

If you want to scratch the itch it really fast, and can get us an RPM of
> current abiword "sugarized" by Monday, we'd be more than happy; even
> happier, if it is the version that was .  Even if you don't, we'll may
> throw onto the distribution as is temporarily, just so we have something
> in the image that can display .doc files and serve as a place holder for
> editing.

We will look into getting the "sugarized" abiword code, and see if we can
make something happen with it. A long shot, but will be fun to try.

Given the weight and complexity of Abirword, a more simplistic and
Python-written editor still seems to have an attractive option. With the
notable functionality of it being easily expanded and integrated with other
Sugar Acitivities. More specifically, I envisioned this editor's engine to
be able to serve as the basis for other Activity's text input (ie. the chat
and IM program's input can be spell-checked or formatted by using the Text
Editor Activity engine).

If the OLPC is planning a more web-based interface, with collaboration and
UIs being presented in the form of natively hosted webpages, most of the
above Editor ideas fall by the wayside.

--
Michael Burns
Oregon State University