[sugar] Abiword on the OLPC?

Jim Gettys jg
Fri Oct 20 20:23:06 EDT 2006

Our primary focus in the long term is to use a wiki-based collaborative
editing system, currently in design.

That being said, abiword's capabilities as a light-weight Microsoft Word
display program (and, for the moment, editor) is very attractive.

If you want to scratch the itch it really fast, and can get us an RPM of
current abiword "sugarized" by Monday, we'd be more than happy; even
happier, if it is the version that was .  Even if you don't, we'll may
throw onto the distribution as is temporarily, just so we have something
in the image that can display .doc files and serve as a place holder for
editing.
                          - Jim

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 15:53 -0700, MBurns wrote:
> It has come to my attention that there is no real text editor for the
> laptop as of yet, so myself and a few Open Source Lab [1] developers
> are trying to scratch that itch. The current thinking was that Abiword
> was going to be the default editor, and there is some documentation on
> the wiki with regards to it (mostly) working [2]. Has anyone heard
> much about the project since then? I am wondering if this project just
> needs some new maintainers, or if we have to start from scratch.
>
> Any insight is useful. Thanks all.
>
> Michael Burns
> Oregon State University
>
> [1] http://osuosl.org/