[sugar] Re: where to base?

Andres Salomon dilinger
Fri Oct 20 11:18:24 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 07:50 -0400, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> I've been talking on and off with a couple of people about where to base
> our operating system.  Over the last couple of months we've been
> following Rawhide, which hasn't been a walk in the park.  (It's
> development, so things have broken from time to time.)  FC6 is going to
> be released in a couple of days, so we've been talking a little bit
> about where to go.  Do we:
>
> 1. Stop with FC6 and use that as a basis for development
>
> 2. Follow FC7 development and expect that the timeline for FC7 will line
> up with our shipping schedules (which isn't an unreasonable assumption
> given that FC7 will be today + 6 months, I believe.) [1]
>
> 3. Use FC6 + the RHEL5 kernel.  Maximum kernel focus (hundreds of
> engineers can't be wrong - right?), security updates are easy, things
> don't move much.

What about a 4th option; FC6 + FC7 kernel?  I consider stabilizing the
toolchain and environment at this point a must.  However, for driver
development we've been tracking Linus's git tree, and the closer we are
to that the easier it will be to port drivers.  There are also
additional features that we're hoping will make it into Linus's kernel;
rather than backporting them to RHEL5's kernel, I'd rather just see the
latest kernel used.

Regardless of what we decide, we'll still be in the situation where we
have two kernels (olpc-2.6 and the official image kernel); I'd just
prefer to see the official image kernel as close to the olpc-2.6 one as
possible.