[Marketing] Competitive Landscape: enTourage eDGe™ - First dual screen LCD / Eink notebook due Feb 2010

Mike Lee curiouslee at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 23:21:28 EDT 2009

I just caught this via an article on Wired News:

Dual-Screen Device Combines E-Reader, Netbook
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/10/edge-e-reader-netbook/

The company's web site has this to say:

The enTourage eDGe™ is the world’s first dualbook, combining the functions
of an e-reader, netbook, notepad, and audio/video recorder and player in
one. It’s a comprehensive device that lets you read e-books, surf the
Internet, take digital notes, send emails and instant messages, watch movies
and listen to music anywhere, at any time. This is nothing you've ever seen
before! Get books wirelessly, move files onto your enTourage eDGe™ using an
SD card or a USB flash drive. And with a netbook built in, you can forget
the limitations of other e-readers, the enTourage eDGe™ does it all!

http://www.entourageedge.com/entourage-edge.html

This weird hybrid runs on Google Android, but I imagine it could boot Sugar
on one of the screens. The product is positioned as an ebook that's
secondarily a netbook with virtual on-screen and optional Bluetooth
keyboard. They compare this device to other ebooks like the Kindle DX at a
time when there is a price war brewing. By February, I'll wonder if their
$490 price holds up in the marketplace. Along with the Asus dual screen
prototype, it does look like the manufacturers are taking on NN's call to
copy the XO-2 concept. This may force OLPC to innovate beyond.

Interestingly, the company is based in McLean, Virgina, so it would be easy
to pay them a visit.

Mike