[Marketing] IBM takes aim at Microsoft Windows 7 with new desktop offering

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 17:56:24 EDT 2009

Very interesting - this is based on the original business-oriented
launch for Africa
(http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/marketing/2009-September/002092.html)
and the announcement seems to have been thrown together just in time
for the Windows 7 launch.

However, yesterday's PR
(http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/28649.wss) explicitly
calls out education for the USA version.

So I agree, we need to talk to IBM and Canonical. Perhaps the
Canonical side first and foremost, since they provide the OS to IBM as
I understand it.

There are other reasons to speak with Canonical, in particular their
successful efforts to get Ubuntu listed as standard on the Dell
Latitude 2100 education netbook and optional on the Intel Classmate.

I hope to discuss this at SugarCamp Bolzano.

thanks

Sean