[IAEP] Motion To Approve 2017 Sugar Labs Mission Statement

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 17:23:26 EDT 2017

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 1:32 PM, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Very nice, Walter! Let's just change the motion to reflect your version. Therefore,
> I propose that the following motion be considered at the April SLOB meeting:
>

> *_____________________________________________________________________________________________*
>
> *The 2017 Mission Statement for Sugar Labs shall be as follows:*
>
> *Sugar Labs is a volunteer-run project whose mission is to reach ​learners
> and educators​ globally​*
> *​ ​*
> *​with a collection of tools that enable them to explore, discover,
> create, and reflect. Sugar Labs distributes these tools freely and
> encourages its users to appropriate them, taking ownership and
> responsibility for their learning.*

​I believe we want the adverb, globally, for how we reach, rather than the​
adjective, global, that limits the set of learners and educators, some of
whom may value Sugar's strength at being local.

In fact, that seems to be part of our mission:   ...a collection of tools
that enable them to explore, discover, create, and reflect in their local
language.