[IAEP] Texas Senate Bills 866 & 867 regarding dyslexia passed over the weekend

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Sat May 28 11:55:41 EDT 2011

On 28 May 2011 04:36, James Simmons <nicestep at gmail.com> wrote:
> Marilyn,
>
> I wrote an Activity called Read Etexts that might be of some use to
> you.  It can take one of the "plain text" files put out by Project
> Gutenberg and read it aloud, like a Kindle.  As it reads the words it
> highlights the word spoken.  The highlighting needs a faster computer
> than an XO to keep up with the word being spoken, but it doesn't need
> to be much faster.
>
> http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4035
>
> James Simmons

This activity looks like it could have some real potential in our deployments.

It seems like there's a lot of functionality crossover between Read
Etexts, Get Internet Archive Books (your code) and Get Books (based on
Get Internet Archive Books). Are there any thoughts about a merger? A
reader that could pull content and vocalise the words from all of the
sources supported by Get Books (plus external files) would be
fantastic!

Thanks,
Sridhar