[IAEP] Funding team?

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 00:49:46 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 11:30 PM,  <mokurai at earthtreasury.org> wrote:
> I would like to propose that we create a funding team to pursue grant
> opportunities and partnerships for Sugar Labs, including Activity
> development, translation, documentation, teacher training materials, and
> digital content integrating software into lessons and explorations. To get
> things started, I have created a temporary page with some suggestions.
> There are lots more.
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mokurai/Funding
>
> We need people to gather and document opportunities; grant writers; and
> proposals for what to fund.
>
> Some people think that this is still a bad time to ask for money, but I
> hear that corporations are sitting on trillions of dollars of cash
> equivalents.

Edward,

The question I have is whether it is necessary to instantiate a new
"Team" or whether to add this as a function / focus area within the
Marketing Team.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Marketing_Team

It is my impression that one of the major expenditures of a FOSS
project is funding travel to events.  The Marketing Team is already
engaged in tracking Sugar relevant events as well as being centrally
involved in the production of the sorts of materials that a
fundraising group would require for applications and presentations to
potential funders (e.g. media kits, etc.)

On the theory that ten teams of nine people are better and more stable
to turnover than thirty teams of three people, as well as being better
equipped for "surge capacity" when needed, what would you think of the
idea of developing your initiative(s) within the context of the
Marketing Team umbrella instead as a separate effort.

Obviously any effort representing Sugar Labs to funding sources (and
committing Sugar Labs to the contractual conditions of such funding
such as financial and other progress reporting and tracking
requirements) would need close coordination with the Oversight Board
and the SFC which would most likely act as the conduit through which
funding would be channelled.

cjl