[IAEP] [support-gang] Quick Question

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 13:56:30 EDT 2011

Caryl,

Your email got me thinking, so I installed Eclipse with the PyDev plugin on
my Mac Mini this morning.  It was not difficult.  You need to download the
Eclipse IDE for Java Developers:

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-ide-java-developers/indigor

This will be a tar file which you can unpack as a folder in your Downloads
directory.  You may move this folder to the Applications directory or
anywhere else you like.  Go into the folder and double-click the Eclipse
icon.  Ignore the warning it gives you.

When Eclipse is up and running look under Help for the Eclipse marketplace
and search for PyDev.  Install it.  You might also search for git and
install the Git interface.  Restart Eclipse and you should be just about
set.

Eclipse has built in documentation you should check out.  It is a MUCH
smaller download than Xcode, and far better for your purposes.

As for idle, you cab find the Terminal app in the Utilities folder under
Applications.  Run that, then type in "idle" on the command line.  You'll
see a Python shell window but in the File menu you can open up a New Edit
Window which is what you want.

James Simmons