[IAEP] Letter to GPA Parents

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Thu Jul 30 20:54:58 EDT 2009

First draft - Comments? Suggestions? Do you think I put in too much
background information?

Dear Parent,

Your child will take home from camp a USB stick and a CD that they used in
school this summer.  Their work this summer is the first part of a school
wide program to use “Sugar on a Stick” at the GPA.  The GPA will be the
first school that uses a USB stick to bring Sugar home.

Sugar is the name of the software and you can learn more at
www.sugarlabs.org.  Your kids are the first ones to use it on a USB stick
but almost a million kids are using it on the “One Laptop per Child”
computers in countries like Peru and Uruguay.

If there is a computer at home the students can try to use Sugar.  We will
teach them how to do it in class.  It may not work on your computer yet.
The stick may also stop working at some point. That is fine, we are doing a
pilot test and we know there are still problems.  We will work all next year
to make sure it works for all students.

Please have your student bring the stick back to school on the first day of
school regardless of whether or not it works.

The kids all had a wonderful time working with Sugar this summer and
produced some amazing things!  Pictures of their work are up on the web:
We may also be creating some videos that will include your children and
their work, if you have signed a release form.

If you would like to know more about Sugar and our plans for the Fall or if
you’d like to volunteer to help in the fall please email
caroline at sugarlabs.org

Thank you and we look forward to meeting you all in September!

Sincerely

Caroline Meeks

Sugar Labs

Instructions for booting your computer with Sugar.

Put in the CD

Turn off the computer

Plug in the USB

Turn on the computer

If you have a Mac, hold down the “c” key as it starts up and as you hear the
chime.

Please don’t be frustrated if it doesn’t work! We’ll figure out why and fix
it this fall.

--
Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove