[IAEP] GPA Notes 7-30-09

Anurag Goel agoel23 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 18:57:15 EDT 2009

GPA Notes 7-30

Today we played around with random numbers in Turtle Art.

Walter: Does anybody know what random means?

Kid: chaos

Walter: I’m thinking of a number between 1 and 10. Who can guess what it is?

Kids: (Guess numbers until they get it right)

Walter: Random on the computer chooses a number between a range

(Walter shows random block to kids and uses the block with the print block)

Walter: We can tell the turtle random numbers by using the random number
block

Walter: (shows kids the program he wrote that uses random numbers for pen
size, color, setyx, and shade)

(The program makes a different color and size circle at random locations)

Kid: How do you make a square?

Walter: (makes a square using repeat(4) - forward(100) – right(90))

Walter: (shows kids the forever block to explain why the program keeps
going)

The kids went to their computers and started playing around with random
numbers. Some of them started off by opening the sample programs and playing
around with different numbers. One kid tried making a program that made
squares and printed his name at random parts on the screen.
<http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=1&view=att&th=122cdd7346a2fafe&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw>

--
Anurag Goel