[IAEP] SoaS in the classroom feedback

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Wed Jul 29 21:32:27 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 7:55 AM, Bill Kerr <billkerr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Caroline Meeks <
> caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> I'm excited that you are doing pilot.  How old are the kids?  From the
>> blog posts it looks like you have some XOs, are you using SoaS on other
>> computers too?
>

> thanks for the mail, Caroline
>
> one xo
> standard usage is SoaS, for this course
> year 10 approx 15yo
> course outline involves critical evaluation and building some useful
> software
> details: http://xo-whs2009.blogspot.com/2009/07/course-outline.html

This looks amazing!!!

> <http://xo-whs2009.blogspot.com/2009/07/course-outline.html>
>

>> We don't have a system for feedback yet so until people complain about the
>> volume lets talk here on the list.
>

>> I think feedback falls into 4 categories.
>>

>>    1. Sugar bugs
>>    2. Sugar on a Stick specific bugs and barriers to deployment
>>    3. Activity specific feedback and bugs
>>    4. Curriculum, pedagogy, lesson plans
>>
>> What seems to work best is to post about problems in general then after
>> discussion post a bug in Trac. Sometimes I find that I just don't understand
>> something or can't find the right button and its not actually a bug.
>

>> I have decided that I really want more SoaS pilots so I'm going to focus
>> for a few weeks on problems that are barriers to teachers using SoaS this
>> fall (#2 above).  I would like your input on this.  My current working
>> document is: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/TODO
>

> Just read that, it's a good start, covers a lot of ground
>
> A few issues (dumb questions, saves time if I put them up here)
>
> 1) once I have created a stick can I upgrade just one program, such as the
> version of Physics which saves (if so how?), or do I have to wait until that
> version is officially released and then reformat all the sticks - I suppose
> both are time consuming since I have about 20 sticks to do - but the latter
> involves waiting for the official release

Did you get the answer? If you actually understood it maybe you can write it
up in the FAQ :)  Cause I'm not sure I do.

I think the answer is. You can easily update all activities, except
for a few known bugs that effect a lot of important activities but
will be fixed next release. Your students may want to stay cutting
edge of the code anyway.

> 2)
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Strawberry#Windows_Users
> For Window User point 5
>
> "Set the *Persistent Storage* slider to the maximum so you can save your
> Sugar work onto the USB device;
> (You may allocate as much storage as there is capacity on your device. You
> may allocate less than the maximum, if you want to use some of the device
> storage when not booting Sugar.)"
>

> I ended up setting the Persistent Storage to maximum. Now I'm wondering
> that if I had allocated less than the maximum then could a student copy a
> file from the journal onto the SoaS (rather than their own USB) and it would
> save in some of that non allocated storage. This is an issue because not all
> students bring their own USBs to class. Sometimes there is a need to swap in
> and out of the Sugar environment back to the Windows environment (found in
> most schools) so ability to easily save on a USB is an issue. Actually, this
> ended up being the first major thing I taught my students to do.

Nod, also I am working on a project to move the USB to a more accessible
file structure.

> 3) the information about failed sticks not rebooting is valuable - some
> sticks have failed for me but I haven't worked out any real pattern yet,
> quite complex to keep track when teaching a class, just tell the kids to try
> a different stick and / or different computer - but the sticks are numbered
> and now each student uses the same one each lesson so patterns will become
> clearer soon
>
> 4) some of my sticks (about half) are card readers 2GB cards, they work
> fine
>
> 5) the brand of stick of stick makes a difference, LASERS are very slow
> (and cheapest), KINGSTON seem good
>
> 6) collaboration did not work out of the box - is it meant to? - I have a
> jabber server from last year which I have yet to setup but will do so soon

Yes, lots of bugs but lets work on trying to identify and squash them.

Also we are close to having SoaS backup and restore working with the XS if
you want to try the patch when we finally get it working.

> 7) Had to type about:config into Browse and muck around with proxy settings
> to get internet access - I had never done this before and needed assistance
>
> http://xo-whs2009.blogspot.com/2009/07/connecting-to-internet-through-soas.html
>
> 8) I noticed when I loaded Pippy on my dell mini inspiron that the run
> button in the middle of the screen was not visible - ie. does not work with
> all screen configurations (it looked ok on school machines though)

file a ticket in dev on this one I think.

>> Greg Smith is gravitating towards documenting the lesson plans etc and
>> creating, organizing and prioritizing tickets that will help in actual usage
>> based on field experience (#3 above). So coordinate with him on getting your
>> lesson plans on the wiki and your bugs filed, categorized etc.
>

> I'm not really developing lesson plans for the xo target age group (6-12
> yo) at the moment, see course outline link above

It sounds like your students may be producing lesson plans.  Any chance they
can actually goto a school and try what they create with younger kids?

> Nevertheless, some general curriculum development principles might
> transfer, eg. find tasks that reward initiative, independent exploration
>

>> As you've already seen physics has an active following!  I think your kids
>> are older then the ones we are working with (7-9) but we will be working
>> with slightly older kids (8-11) and science in the fall so I'll be
>> interested in how we can fit it in with their curriculum.
>

> Tony Forster suggested physics modification and that would be a suitable
> goal for my age group
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Modifying_Activities#Modifying_Physics
>
> hope that some of this is useful

Thanks! This looks great. Please send lots and lots of feedback and also
ping us when we should go look at the blogs.

Cheers,
Caroline

--
Caroline Meeks