[IAEP] etoys, moodle, gcompris, kde-edu and other sister projects

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Sat Jul 25 05:30:07 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 10:53, Bastien<bastienguerry at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> writes:
>
>> Wonder what we could do so that these other projects feel more
>> welcomed to our community and more collaboration opportunities are
>> taken. Any ideas?
>
> If we take Gcompris as an example of such project, I guess ideas of
> collaboration are more likely to come from Gcompris/Sugar users.
>
> I don't read OLPC Sur as I don't speak spanish.  It looks like I miss a
> lot.  I would be happy to share Gcompris/Sugar feedback with the larger
> Gcompris community in France, but I would need this feedback to be more
> accessible: in english, on a blog, etc.
>
> This way I Gcompris users would have more incentives to test Sugar.

Yeah, I see connecting the different Sugar communities around the
world and fostering collaboration as one of the most interesting
problems that Sugar Labs faces. Local Labs are a piece on this puzzle,
but I would like to see more spontaneous action there.

This page is a start to give some structure to Sugar around the world:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Deployment_Team/Places

Ideally, people would be able to push their local issues directly to
any team at the global Sugar Labs, but also would be possible to pull
feedback from the deployments through that list of contacts.

Language is an issue, but it's also a matter of GCompris users in
Uruguay knowing how the software is developed and what channels exist
to talk with the people who do it. There's a huge amount of work ahead
to educate everybody about what free software is and how it gets
developed and deployed, from NGO managers to politicians, with
teachers and parents in between.

I hope one day we'll have some kind of "Sugar newsletters" that get
translated in several languages and are sent directly to teachers and
students, containing articles, interviews to people like Bruno, etc.
This could help give some more cohesion to our so broad community

Regards,

Tomeu