[IAEP] etoys, moodle, gcompris, kde-edu and other sister projects

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Jul 24 12:23:57 EDT 2009

Hi,

we have certain relationships with other software projects with
similar goals to us and the people working there may be asking
themselves why their work isn't discussed more often in our fora,
specially now that active members of our community have stepped into
the classrooms themselves.

My take on this is that the community around Sugar Labs is only
starting now to organize their own pilots and small deployments. We
see discussion about moodle, etoys and gcompris in the OLPC-Sur
mailing list where teachers from Latin America talk about their
experiences in the classroom, but the IAEP list is still more about
where we want to take Sugar to than about actual experiences in the
classroom, though this is slowly changing. One standing goal for Sugar
Labs is integrating the current users of Sugar, most of whom don't
know how Sugar is developed, much less what Sugar Labs is.

Wonder what we could do so that these other projects feel more
welcomed to our community and more collaboration opportunities are
taken. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tomeu