[IAEP] Adding a word-count to write

Martin Sevior msevior at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 17:58:05 EDT 2009

HI Christoph,

We do not expose the underlying code to extract the numeric value of
the word count from a document at present. It would trivial to add
that to the API if there was consensus this would be a useful thing to
do. Now is a good time to put in such requests because we're just
finishing off the 2.8 release.

However you can pop up the AbiWord modeless Word Count dialog by doing:

self._abiword_canvas.invoke_cmd("dlgWordCount","",0,0)

This will give you document statistics as you type.

I can imagine that having the word count auto-updating in the toolbar
would be a neat little feature
for the Write 0.86. It might one of those "high ceiling" features for
users to discover.

One might also think of "find", "replace" and "goto" all being
implemented in the toolbar.

We have to careful to remember our target audience though.

Cheers

Martin