[IAEP] Adding a word-count to write

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Jul 18 15:06:18 EDT 2009

On 18 Jul 2009, at 19:12, Christoph Derndorfer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> while using Write today to draft up some articles for olpcnews I
> realized that I was missing a "word count" feature.
>
> Given that a lot of schools have very specific word count goals for
> homeworks, essays and assignments I'm thinking that this could be a
> useful feature to implement in time for the 0.86 release.
>
> What does everyone think about this?

Well, for much older students, sure, but I can't ever remember told to
produce a N word assay at school, maybe one or two at college (16yrs
+), definitely common once I hit University (20yrs+).

FWIW, looking for a quick cheap fix (i.e. adding grey text for "words:
%d" to the view tab tool bar, next to pages widget), I just dug through:

	http://www.abisource.com/wiki/AbiWidget

...to see what was exposed, sorry no sign of word count. Page count
was as close as it gets. An old blog entry:

	http://snowedin.net/ideas/AbiWord+OLPC+Feature+Inventory

...reads wordcount in the "probably out" category.

There is a Abiword word count dialogue, but I could see no API
documentation as to how to expose it. Think you'd need to ping Abiword
specific dev lists to push on this.

Using "wc -w" in terminal is what the quick hack geek in me says,
sorry ;-p

Regards,
--Gary

P.S I'm no AbiWidget expert so there may be other API paths to getting
at the word count.