[IAEP] (engineering) capacity building

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Jul 17 04:17:43 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 09:29, Sean DALY<sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:
> We discussed recently making improvements to the Getting Involved page
> ( http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/marketing/2009-June/001510.html
> ).
>
> I feel it would serve us to maintain "job" listings, on the Getting
> Involved page, linked to from each team's page and posted at the end
> of Walter's Sugar Digest: "We need someone to do..."
>
> I agree 100% with Tomeu that recruitment needs to be targeted to where
> prequalified candidates are. For example in the case of the marketing
> team I have built a short list of advertising industry fora, all of
> which have free job listings and accept nonprofits, ideal for students
> seeking experience. I have also identified some business school
> marketing professors whom I will pitch to personally for class
> projects. I want to start this recruitment drive in September (after
> my move & vacation) and get contributors to work on merchandising,
> school visits etc.
>
> Concerning publications, the wider the reach (Ars Technica compared to
> LWN for example), the less likely they would let us publish a guest
> piece for recruitment (if anyone allowed it). Stating our case on blog
> planets, and word of mouth which includes IRC, in each case referring
> to a reworked Getting Involved page, seems to me an efficient approach
> for the target.

I wasn't thinking either of posting articles about recruitment on
those places, rather to get our organization known. Most of the people
that know that Sugar exists think we are part of OLPC, or that we have
funding and a paid development team or that we have abandoned the OLPC
cause and are focusing on the "rich kids".

Once FLOSS people know that we are a global grassroots organization
working on an exciting technology that can have a bigger impact that
any consumer product, we'll be in a much better position for asking
for help.

> Most organizations reaching a size bigger than we are now have a
> person doing human resources who handles recruitment in liaison with
> each team. I'm not worried about building a large and effective
> marketing team (hasn't been my priority up to now), but I share
> Tomeu's concerns about recruiting engineers.

But keep in mind that this is human resources with a twist: we are
asking people with a very specific set of skills to work for us for
free. Also, we are looking for totally self-directed people, we don't
have a management team. That's why I would call it community
management rather than HR management.

Regards,

Tomeu