[Marketing] getting involved: doing us a favor

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 03:37:51 EDT 2009

Thanks Mel

Actually I think Walter has the best handle on this - each profile
needs a Sugar Story, one of us explaining what motivates us,
communicating our passion and willingness to accept the challenges.

We've had difficulty starting this up dues to our workload (and
perhaps also because of the risk of clubby mutual backslapping), but
perhaps a way to get this going is to just post a quote from one of us
under each profile? From the Real Person?

I've said before that the profiles aren't ideal - there should be
Communicator for marketing/PR/publicist, in its absence we sort of fit
marketing into Content Writer (reductionist from a marketing POV) and
People Person (ideal profile for manning a booth, but not really a
description for event planning or marketing). Marketing (especially
with ultraminimalist budget) involves first and foremost creativity,
not tasks to do. A marketer will naturally stick her nose into other
(non-marketing) aspects to work towards objectives and the tasks are
done because we have our eyes on the prize. Whatever skills any of us
lack is quickly made up for by getting someone in the community with
the skills to help out.

In the end I'm not at all sure the pigeonholes are useful. The "grid"
seems to assign heavy workloads; there is no emotional argument or
call to action. I think we'd be better served by communicating our
ideals, for changing the world and bettering education and
opportunity, then listing major objectives; under each of these, a
line or two saying "We need someone to help us...", signed by the Real
Person. Potential contributors will want to contact a person, not a
"team" or an "alias"; it's key to make ourselves easily contactable I
think.

Group photos from SugarCamps could be enormously helpful, the smiles
on our faces showing that we like working together :-)

Sean