[Marketing] getting involved: doing us a favor

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Wed Jun 17 17:59:11 EDT 2009

Inspired by a discussion with Caroline on IRC the other day.

I was looking at
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Getting_Involved, and... I think
my biggest comment is "how can the page be designed so as to make it
clear that they're doing us a favor - not an imposition - by participating?"

Several years back, I met a professor once who was writing a textbook
and beta-testing it with his class, who would have the homework of
reading it and working problems. Not unusual. The interesting thing was
that the assignments were phrased something like this: "I'm writing this
textbook, and would love reviews; your assignment is to look at this and
point out my mistakes, where I'm being confusing, where the problems
aren't teaching you the material effectively - you're the expert on what
makes a textbook good for you."

He said he got far better - and far more - responses than the usual
"this is your homework; do these problems." The implied subtext to that,
especially for some newbies, is "and if you have a hard time, it's
because you're dumb, because We Know Stuff and our materials are Perfect."

So how can we make it clear that beginning participation and telling us
about the questions and the troubles that they have in contributing
isn't any trouble for us - and that in fact, we really like it?

--Mel