[IAEP] Computer as a tool

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 15:14:42 EDT 2009

Hi,

This thread was spun off "Re: [IAEP] Comments on David Kokorowski, David
Pritchard and "Mastering" Educational SW"

There are differences in the use of computers in schools between Sikshana
(sikshana.blogspot.com) and Sugar Labs/OLPC. Sikshana's tech pilot is only
three years old and will reach around 6000 kids (grades 5..7) across 120
schools this year.

Our involvement in these schools, as community members, was child-centric and
focussed on building basic skills set. Supplies shortage is a perennial issue
in these remote villages. We introduced computers as digital authoring tools
so kids never run short of 'supplies'. There was no pre-loaded content - no
physics lessons, no cartoons, no quizzes. A 2GB USB flash memory chip issued to
each kid served as a "digital school bag". Etoys (customized for vernacular
support) ran off the chip while others were installed on the hard disk.

The difference between OLPC/Sugar/SoaS in the separation of personal content
from the rest of the stack. Computers are not networked, collaboration is
physical. The machine, OS, GUI, software tools were all subject to change.
Putting OS on the chip would have reduced space for project files and upgrading
software on so many chips would be a logistical nightmare!  Our field office
maintains a pool of computers (notebooks and desktops) from which schools can
borrow as many as they can manage in the classrooms. Bite only what you can
chew. This system allowed teachers and students to focus on authoring and not
get bogged down by IT issues.

We didn't try to simplify GUI. It was not even localized though teachers and
students knew very little English. We found that kids enjoyed the challenge of
mastering GUI. They were thrilled to use the same 'computer' that IT folks use
in their offices. English-Kannada dictionary got used heavily.  "Undo" became a
much loved feature. They learnt LaTeX encoding to produce Kannada and Math
text. Students formed teams to share 'tips and tricks'. Now teachers, across
schools, are forming self-help groups to share their findings.

Subbu