[IAEP] Communicating project goals and Roadmap

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Thu Jul 2 06:41:06 EDT 2009

On 07/02/2009 12:27 PM, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 18:18, David Farning<dfarning at sugarlabs.org>  wrote:

>>> Sounds great!
>>>
>>> Tomeu
>>>
>> There is now a very rough draft/outline at
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Labs/Roadmap .
>
> First of all, you mention several times a "release" but don't specify
> what gets released. Also, is the Sugar Learning Platform the upstream
> project? What about SoaS? Also, what is "Unified SoaS"?
>
> "Release dates up to and including .86 have been determined by the
> development team. Starting with .88, the release schedule will be
> determined by the Sugar Labs oversight board."

Is this picking a date for the release or deciding what goes into a
release?

For the date - we have picked it to align to our downstream projects -
the linux distributions. So far this worked quite well. So the current
dates are not picked arbitrary.

Features: Depending on the Fedora policy I hacked up this one for
features: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Policy

To reduce overhead, like an engineering steering commitee I took out the
Fesco part. I think for the near future we are fine with such a 'simple'
policy.

> I didn't knew that the oversight board was supposed to take such
> day-to-day decisions. In any case, I hope that the date that the SLOBs
> decide for the Sugar Learning Platform is the same as the development
> team decides, because otherwise we are going to have a big conflict
> here.

+1

Regards,
    Simon