[IAEP] Comments on David Kokorowski, David Pritchard and "Mastering" Educational SW

Maria Droujkova droujkova at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 13:50:30 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 1:11 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org>wrote:

> Thanks for tying in these projects. Could you share more about how
> Sugar activity developers and content creators can leverage your work
> to solve the problems you discuss earlier in the thread.
>
> david

David,

As I said, I am a beginner at Sugar, so what I say now may need (a lot of?)
adjustment.

> > - "My young apprentice" is a framework for kids forging connections with
> > professionals during micro-apprenticeships, while creating shareable
> media
> > on a social platform.

Step 1 here is for families or kids with mentors to meet with local
professionals for Q&A, micro-apprenticeships, or "shadowing" at work and
then create stories about experiences. The result will be a portfolio of
local community professionals accessible for families with kids. Step 2 is
to use stories and experiences to make bridges from situated mathematics and
science to more abstract (even subject- and class-centered) versions. In my
dream, kids do something akin to what Hoyles and Noss did with nurses:
observe community practices (and participate as possible) and find and share
situated learning. The Record activity and possibly Journals should work
here.

> > - "Math 2.0" is a topic I am investigating at the moment, which includes
> > looking at larger society trends surrounding math-rich media. What math
> > content is naturally created and shared by kids with kids? It used to be
> > sci-fi, but not as much anymore. Some multi-player games are promising.

I am investigating opportunities here. Any piece of shared code can
potentially become a math-rich social object. Other examples include graphs
from http://graphjam.com/ or particularly fun games of Green Blobs
http://www.greenglobs.net/gg_description.html or stories of how your group
celebrated March 14.

> > - Just today I had a conversation with a parent of a 3yo about larger
> > meaning of some of our Early Algebra activities. Understanding immediate
> > importance (rather than 12 years down the road, as Subbu said) of deep
> > thinking is a crucial piece of activity adoption by parents and teachers.
> If
> > this understanding is "packaged" with activities, they have much higher
> > chances of surviving beyond the lab where they are developed.

I hope to develop some of our Early Algebra activities with Sugar. They
should include discussions of what they are for, generally speaking
(utility, beauty, fun).

Thanks,
MariaD