[Sugar-devel] Core modules (was: Re: Adding committers on gitorious)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Aug 23 03:34:28 EDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 18:27, Sascha Silbe
<sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-2 at silbe.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from James Cameron's message of Fri Aug 06 01:20:27 +0200 2010:
>
>> There are too many core modules, in my opinion (and Michael Stone's).  I
>> see no good reason why there isn't just one git repository for the
>> whole of Sugar.
>
> Full agreement for sugar-base, sugar-toolkit and sugar.
> sugar-datastore and the now obsolete sugar-presence-service OTOH should
> remain in their own repository as they're clearly separate components.
> You can even run a version support enabled sugar-datastore with mainline
> sugar.
> Not sure about sugar-artwork; I rarely need to touch it.

A point for having sugar-base and sugar-toolkit separate from the
shell is that it should be useful in the future to have only installed
the non-shell sugar components so that activities can run as apps in
other environments than Sugar.

Of course, packagers can generate several packages from the same
tarball, but they may need to be told so explicitly and they may not
get the right files in each package at the first try.

Regards,

Tomeu