[Sugar-devel] Unit & integration testing - tools discussion

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Wed Aug 11 22:36:18 EDT 2010

On 12 August 2010 13:30, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> > 2) Which testing framework to use
>
> Whatever the test developer and activity developer can agree on.
>
> I don't know enough about the options to choose.
>
> (p.s. I'm aware of your work on Sugarbot.  While this is fantastic, I'm
> worried that a test that depends on Sugarbot might end up not being used
> because Sugarbot is unavailable on the platform, or a later version is
> needed.)

Oh, I was mainly talking about unit testing. Something like Sugarbot /
dogtail is more suited to larger-scale testing.

I see the choice here between derivatives of Kent Beck's SUnit and some of
the newer testing frameworks. In Python, this would be the unittest*
module. The other two options I listed were nose [1] & py.test[2] tests.
There are other possibilities, such as zope.testing.

In my opinion, nose & py.test make writing tests much simpler. I personally
prefer py.test because of some of its additional capabilities, such as being
able to send tests to other cores/machines via ssh with a command line
switch. I think nose has a greater popularity primarily because it has a
better website with friendlier documentation.

Tim

* From Py 2.7, that is depreciated in favour of unittest2.
[1] http://somethingaboutorange.com/mrl/projects/nose/0.11.2/
[2] http://codespeak.net/py/dist/test/