[Sugar-devel] Unit & integration testing - tools discussion

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Aug 11 21:30:58 EDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 08:15:32AM +1200, Tim McNamara wrote:
> 1) Where should tests be located

Within the source code repository of the activity or project, and
included in distribution; e.g. .tar.gz or .xo

The tests need to be maintained along with the code, when the code is
changed, so not having them next to the code reduces the chances of
simultaneous maintenance.

For an activity or project engaged in strict testing, patch review
should also include checking the correlation between the tests and the
code.

The tests need to be accessible to the end-user developer ... so that,
for instance, an activity can be tested after it has been included in
some new build by a downstream hardware vendor or technical deployment
team.

Certainly NOT in some meta project or Wiki page or external web
application or spreadsheet.  ;-)

> 2) Which testing framework to use

Whatever the test developer and activity developer can agree on.

I don't know enough about the options to choose.

(p.s. I'm aware of your work on Sugarbot.  While this is fantastic, I'm
worried that a test that depends on Sugarbot might end up not being used
because Sugarbot is unavailable on the platform, or a later version is
needed.)

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/