[sugar] Notes from today's Release Meeting(s)

S Page info at skierpage.com
Wed Jul 30 00:52:18 EDT 2008

Michael Stone wrote:
> 5. Separately, I wish we were receiving even more volunteer testing. Can you
> help out? Fame, glory, and the undying gratitude of hundreds of thousands of
> children await you!

Background: I'm just a G1G1.  I don't have a "Developer key", but on my
own initiative I installed candidate-703 and candidate-708 using
olpc-update and provided some feedback and bug reports.

> What would make it easier for you?

More clarity.

>  I gather that having the nominated  Wednesday build helps

Is this "nominated Wednesday build" going to be a candidate build that
mere users can install using olpc-update, or do I need the fabled bronze
"Developer key" to become a joyride-like tester of nominated 8.2 builds?

> and that cloning/updating the "Friends in Testing"
> page would be useful.

I'd never heard of <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Friends_in_testing>
I did sign up for
<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/8.2.0#Put_Your_Name_Here_to_Confirm_You_Will_Try_the_Release_Candidate>

> Several folks (rsmith and cscott) suggested making at least a
> devel-announce list for this sort of traffic. Would that help?

I think once OLPC has a candidate build that people can install using
olpc-update and has been "smoke-tested", then it can publicize it on
planet.laptop.org, olpcnews.com, forum.laptop.org, etc.  Another mailing
list won't help as much to get the word out.

>> I believe you really need some dedicated person as liaison between
>> sugarlabs/1cc and outside testing and development volunteers.

I'm not so sure.  If you want more testing, just publicize as above.  I
didn't hear about candidate builds until I started following devel and
figured out the wiki's green "Latest Releases" box.  Mozilla does fine
with self-selected groups of self-builders, nightly testers, alpha
testers, beta testers, etc., I don't think they have any such liaison
person.

>> Anyway I'll try to test whatever build you nominate tomorrow.

Me too, especially if there's clarity about olpc-update vs. the fabled
"developer key".

> Thanks so much!

No, thank you!

--