[sugar] Notes from today's Release Meeting(s)

Michael Stone michael
Tue Jul 29 22:10:13 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 09:32:42PM -0400, Ton van Overbeek wrote:
>I (just an interested G1G1 owner for my grandson with a
>Solaris/Unix/Linux background) would love to help testing, but you are
>not making it very easy.

What would make it easier for you? I gather that having the nominated
Wednesday build helps and that cloning/updating the "Friends in Testing"
page would be useful. Anything else come to mind?

> You have to follow devel@ to know what is going on and that alone is
> almost a part-time job.

Several folks (rsmith and cscott) suggested making at least a
devel-announce list for this sort of traffic. Would that help?

(Previous requests for volunteer list summarizers were not fulfilled.)

>On the wiki there is a "Friends in testing" page
>(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Friends_in_testing) but it does not seem to
>be used by the core developers/testers/release team.

It's simple forgetfulness; most of those people follow devel at . :)

>There has only been one request for testing WiFi compatibility for
>8.1.1, but nothing for testing 8.2.

8.2 has only recently (a few weeks ago) become worth booting. Frankly,
I've been too overwhelmed with Sugar bugs to pay close enough attention
to wireless issues.

>I believe you really need some dedicated person as liaison between
>sugarlabs/1cc and outside testing and development volunteers.

We agree -- we just haven't found such a person yet. We even have a job
description for such a person, though (argh!) it doesn't seem to be
posted at http://laptop.org/en/jobs.shtml.

>Anyway I'll try to test whatever build you nominate tomorrow.

Thanks so much!

Michael