[sugar] Drop activity launch limitation?

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Sun Jul 13 22:54:10 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 9:44 PM, Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> wrote:
>> we have logic in the shell to limit launching activity of the same
>> type at the same time (i.e. before the first activity launch has been
>> completed). It seem to be that this is obsoleted by the new launch
>> feedback. Should we drop it?
>
> My opinion - yes, you should.
>
> But I've encountered a more pernicious "hurdle".  Suppose an
> Activity launch fails (for instance, if a file happens to be
> missing, or if the Activity experiences an incompatibility against
> Rainbow).  In current Joyride, the new launch feedback will keep
> blinking until something times out -- this seems to take several
> minutes (far too long for my patience).  I have to go through hoops
> to "escape" from that (unhelpful) new launch feedback.

I agree the current timeout is far from optimal...it can really try
your patience, and often makes you think that it will never timeout.
That aside, though, is the act of leaving the view really that
out-of-the-way? The Frame is purposely left available, so once can
navigate back to Home via the Frame or Home key on the keyboard.

> I don't know what would be a decent solution, but leaving a kid (or
> adult) staring at the new launch feedback for possibly minutes on
> end seems icky.

Yeah, I'm unsatisfied, too.  Perhaps we can shorten the interval, but
better than that we should be actively attempting to detect failure
(how can we do this?) so that when a launch fails "hard" for some
reason, we can immediately indicate that.

- Eben