[Systems] Migrating Pootle from Justice to Bender

Chihurumnaya Ibiam ibiam at sugarlabs.org
Sun May 21 09:01:30 EDT 2023

On Sun, May 21, 2023 at 9:08 AM James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> G'day Ibiam,
>
> I'll reply in context below.  I don't have access to Bender, so can't
> comment on the plan completely, but I'll mention what I can.
>
> On Sat, May 20, 2023 at 04:11:33PM +0100, Chihurumnaya Ibiam wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > We need to migrate Pootle to Bender as we have little control over the
> > translate server at the moment and migrating will give us more control.
> >
> > I've come up with what needs to be done for the migration to take place
> and I'd
> > like comments and suggestions. Regards.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Ibiam Chihurumnaya
> > [1]ibiam at sugarlabs.org

> > [1] mailto:ibiam at sugarlabs.org
>
> > POOTLE MIGRATION PLAN
> > =====================
> >
> > This document describes the plans to migrate pootle translation server
> from justice to bender.
> >
> > Backups
> > =======
> >
> > Database backup; Backup the pootle database.
> > They're older backups in /root/ but I doubt we'll need them.
> >
> > User directories:
> > Backup current active user directories which include;
> > /home/quozl/, /home/ibiamchihurumnaya/, /home/bernie/, /home/aperez/,
>
> No need to backup user directories, let the users transfer what they need.

Agreed, took a second look and there's nothing in any of the directories.

> > Pootle and it's configurations;
> >
> > /srv/www-sugarlabs/pootle as /var/lib/pootle/ is a link to it.
> > /etc/apache2/newpootle.sugaralabs.org.conf
>
> Good opportunity to fix that typo.  Sugaralabs.

Thanks for pointing that out, it was a typo on my end.

> > Other directories: Backup
> > /etc/network/interfaces - would edit to fit the ip address range of
> bender.
> > /etc/postfix/ - mail delivery config
> > /etc/ssl/ - not sure if we should back this up as we can create new
> certificates
> > /etc/letsencrypt/
>
> None of these should be migrated as is.  Instead, whatever function is
> being performed should be reimplemented on the later operating system
> release on Bender.

Makes sense.

> > Migration Date
> > ==============
> > TBD
> >

> > Post Update
> > ===========
> > Update Service/translate on the wiki to reflect new changes.
>
> You may find the previous migration plan there useful.
>
> Also, you may find it very helpful to copy the virtual machine to your own
> lab, bring it up in isolation, and bring up a replacement using the same
> operating system release as Bender.  That will give you a list of steps
> that you have tested.  It won't need to support mail, but that's a minor
> component.

Agreed, I've been doing some tests by bringing it up locally and noting the
steps and now I'd include adding ssl and letsencrypt.

I forgot to mention the size of the volume, it'll be 40GB as pootle is
currently 30GB so giving it extra 10GB.

> Hope that helps!

Ibiam Chihurumnaya
ibiam at sugarlabs.org