[Systems] Email classified as spam went sent over @sugarlabs.org alias

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Sun Jun 28 10:02:35 EDT 2020

On 28/06/2020 22.14, Srevin Saju wrote:

> Thanks for the reply
>

>> I went to postmaster.google.com, and the sugarlabs.org domain has a
>> tiny trickle of spam reported against it on May 28 and April 1, but
>> otherwise the reputation is 100% good for the past 120 days, and most
>> (but not all) email should be signed with DMARC.
>
> Ok, I might not have signed my email with DMARC; and I do not know how
> to align sugarlabs' DKIM signature on an alias. I was able to succeed
> on my personal domain, but not on sugarlabs.org. If you have any small
> guide, or any previous extract from the sugarlabs mailing list, it
> would do me great help. (I searched over the archives, did not find
> anything useful)

Well, the whole point of DKIM is that nobody can sign an email as
originating from sugarlabs.org /unless/ they have the private key ;-)

With a shell account, you could submit mail to sunjammer via
authenticated SMTP on port 465 (submissions). Then, sunjammer would sign
it and deliver it to its next relay.

New accounts on sunjammer are discouraged because users with too little
shell experience cost the admins a lot of support. It's also no longer
needed by the current development workflow, which is based on Git Hub.

If you have a valid use-case, just find a sponsor and send us a request.
The sysadmins are all busy with work and life, and the self-hosted
infrastructure is on long-term maintenance mode... so don't expect fast
turnaround :-)

>> For the red padlock:  indeed, it seems we're not using SMTPS when
>> connecting to gmail.com. This shouldn't affect the spam score, but
>> it's not good for privacy. Maybe aleph@ can help us debug this.
>
> Thanks. Please let me know if I can do anything.

I fixed it. This email should have no red padlock (there is no green
padlock).

Our Postfix config was missing the "new" option smtp_tls_security_level.
I set it to "may", which is the simplest level of opportunistic encryption:

http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtp_tls_security_level
<http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtp_tls_security_level>

Setting it to "dane" would increase MitM resilience while also being
interoperable with legacy non-TLS domains. I'm not opposed to trying it
out if someone wants to own debugging it.

--
Bernie Innocenti
Sugar Labs Infrastructure Team