[Systems] Mailmain configuration

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Apr 21 11:15:59 EDT 2016

When I get an off-list reply and the content isn't personal or otherwise
sensitive, I start my reply with "Did you mean to respond to everyone on
the list?".

In many cases, newcomers *intentionally* choose to reply privately
because they're uncomfortable speaking in public (a light social
anxiety). That's why I don't directly add back the list without asking
them first.

It's not possible to configure mailing lists in a way that satisfies all
common usecases, and since users tend to get used to the way the list
has always worked, if we change it we'll anger many of the existing
subscribers.

Note that individual list administrators *can* change this setting
themselves. So perhaps lists oriented towards non-technical users could
be configured to reply-to-list by default without the system's team
approval. But then... wouldn't that be even more confusing for users who
subscribe to multiple SL lists?

Instead of micro-optimizing mailman2, let's work on a longer-term
solution: migrate to mailman3 and offer non-technical users a friendly
web interface to post to the lists.

 \X/  http://codewiz.org