[Systems] Mailmain configuration

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Apr 20 01:37:22 EDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 11:04:34PM -0400, Dave Crossland wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 11 April 2016 at 23:22, Dave Crossland <[1]dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>
>     On 11 April 2016 at 20:28, Chris Leonard <[2]cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com>
>     wrote:
>
>         most of us are pretty used to the way things are, not that is a
>         super good reason
>
>     Respectfully I think it is a bad reason; the community has
>     shrunk over the last few years, and I think making it better for
>     potential newcomers is essential.
>
> I want to reaffirm my proposal to reconfigure the lists, as our
> newest/ prospective community member also just fell into the
> reply-only-to-sender pothole :/

It was also you missing that the reply was private.  Change your
mailer to highlight such replies; you can handle them better, and give
guidance.

My mailer marks private replies and de-emphasises them, so that I
concentrate on the public discussion to the exclusion of any private
discussion.  Because I don't like private messages; they lose
transparency.

> Does anyone on the systems team support changing the mailman reply
> configuration?

I remain unconvinced.

But there was a missed opportunity to give guidance at subscription
time, so I've edited the introduction message;

"Note: when you get a post and press reply, the reply will go to
poster and not the list; please use reply-all or reply-to-group when
you want your reply to be public."

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/