[Systems] Google Code-in Tasks (Sysadmin)

Samuel Cantero scanterog at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 13:19:35 EDT 2015

Hello guys!

Bernie and I have been thinking about some tasks for the GCI contest. As
Martin (tch) said in another email, we should double check these tasks are
"compatible" with the contest topics.

Below the first draft:

*Title*: Analyze and optimize the Sugar Labs wiki performance.
*Category*: Research / QA / Other?
*Description*:
The main documentation for the Sugar Labs organization is placed in the
Sugar Labs wiki. Speeding up the wiki access is important for the community.
Analyze and optimize our wiki using Google PageSpeed Tools. Get a score of
85 or above for the Sugar Labs wiki.

Google PageSpeed URL: https://developers.google.com/speed/

*Title*: New mailing list for Sugar Labs.
*Category*: Research / Other?
*Description*:
In Sugar Labs, as most open source organizations, we use mailing lists to
communicate with one another. Currently, we are using mailman 2.
Make some research, for example among other open source organizations, to
propose at least one new open source package to deploy a new mailing list
for Sugar Labs.
Implement the chosen software using Docker containers.

*Title*: Write a Munin plugin to monitor network resource usage on Docker
containers
*Category*: Coding
*Description*:
In Sugar Labs, we use Docker container to host important services.
Monitoring the resource usage is critical for the infrastructure health. We
have written a Munin plugin to monitor CPU and memory usage on Docker
containers. The next step is  to monitor the network usage on our Docker
containers. This tasks requires writing a Munin plugin, preferably in Perl,
for monitoring network resource usage on Docker containers.

Docker runtime metrics: https://docs.docker.com/articles/runmetrics/
Git Repo: https://github.com/scanterog/munin-plugin-docker

Maybe I have to create a new repo for this on the sugarlabs-infra git
organization.

*Title*: High availability in our Docker infrastructure.
*Category*: Research / Other?
*Description*:
In Sugar Labs, mainly we use Virtual Machines and Docker containers to host
our main services. We want you to test the Docker Swarm functionality in
order to create a Docker cluster.

For this task, you will have two clean Ubuntu VMs in order to install and
configure the Docker Swarm. We will provide you also two Docker images. In
order to complete the task, the docker cluster and the failover
functionality must be working.

Any advice is welcome.

Regards,

Samuel C.