[Systems] Mailman 3

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Wed Apr 29 15:46:05 EDT 2015

Following up by email because I didn't respond immediately on irc and
now you're not logged in.

So, I also expected mm3 to be immature at this point. 1.0 was released a
few days ago after 7 years of development, and it's also radically
different from its predecessor (https://lwn.net/Articles/642240/).

There's no hurry. We can wait a few more months for things to stabilize
and then give it another try. I think there's value for us: the new web
interface might help educators and other non-technical people
participate with the rest of the community.

Thanks for testing this. Even if it didn't work out, I think it was
worth trying.

<scg> I want to report you about my progress with mm3. Off plan, I have
some bugs after installing mm3 and all its components. I am using
released packages from the ubuntu 14.04 repositories.
<scg> I have tested it in all scenarios: with SQLite 3, with PostgreSQL
(for both mailman and postorius_standalone), with virtual environment
for python 2.7 and python 3.4, without venv, compiling the sources codes
to get binaries. I have the same results for all of them.
<scg> As you might guess, I haven't had the chance to try the migration
between mm2 and mm3.
<scg> The idea behind mm3 is good, however, I think that it is still no
mature for production. Furthermore, I have found some errors/warnings
with the ORM SQLAlchemy and also with the messages between postorius and
the mailman client.
<scg> I can continue working on it and presenting the bug on the
project's home (launchpad). I have already done it:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/postorius/+bug/1429086
<scg> Maybe I am doing something wrong, but for now this it what I've
got. I couldn't work so much on it anyway. The wedding, the work and the
trip preparation is killing me. I believe that maybe I have entered in a
bad moment. But upon returning from my honeymoon I hope to help more to
the SL team.
<scg> For now I can promise continue working on this to get a more
secure result.

  \X/  http://codewiz.org