[Systems] Which storage driver for Docker?

Sam P. sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 05:19:13 EST 2014

Hey Bernie,

On Sun, Nov 2, 2014 at 3:47 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:

> I just read this:
>

> http://developerblog.redhat.com/2014/09/30/overview-storage-scalability-docker/
>
> Perhaps I've been too fast to ditch btrfs: docker really needs a
> copy-on-write filesystem to store images efficiently... and btrfs is
> slower and more complicated than other filesystems *exactly* because
> it's designed to handle CoW well.

Sounds cool

> So it's a perfect fit... if it works. I'm a bit worried that the Ubuntu
> 14.04 kernel might have serious btrfs bugs, but we have no way to know
> until we hit one. Let's just make sure we have very good backups, ok? :-)

Well we have 2 btrfs partitions, and each is different:

- Docker images:  we have already discussed the lack of need to back these
up
- Socialhelp: we need to back this up, but this really does not need to be
on btrfs... I will migrate it soon

> Another concern: creating multiple btrfs volumes on top of MD and LVM is
> probably stupid: btrfs is complicated also because it handles raid and
> subvolumes at higher level. If we decide to deploy lots of containers on
> freedom, we should probably rethink the disk layout.

I don't think we need to, we only really need to have 1 btrfs partition -
the docker image store.  I think that the overhead on that partition won't
fill up the rest of the disk space =)

What's your opinion on this?

Sam