[Systems] Which storage driver for Docker?

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sun Nov 2 00:47:49 EDT 2014

I just read this:

http://developerblog.redhat.com/2014/09/30/overview-storage-scalability-docker/

Perhaps I've been too fast to ditch btrfs: docker really needs a
copy-on-write filesystem to store images efficiently... and btrfs is
slower and more complicated than other filesystems *exactly* because
it's designed to handle CoW well.

So it's a perfect fit... if it works. I'm a bit worried that the Ubuntu
14.04 kernel might have serious btrfs bugs, but we have no way to know
until we hit one. Let's just make sure we have very good backups, ok? :-)

Another concern: creating multiple btrfs volumes on top of MD and LVM is
probably stupid: btrfs is complicated also because it handles raid and
subvolumes at higher level. If we decide to deploy lots of containers on
freedom, we should probably rethink the disk layout.

What do you think?

 \X/  http://codewiz.org