[Systems] Link removal request

Tony Sebro tony at sfconservancy.org
Thu Feb 27 16:30:16 EST 2014

On 02/17/2014 09:27 AM, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:
> Sugar Labs Tech Team,
>
>> We have recently received a notification from Google stating that our
>> website has unnatural links pointing towards it. This has really
>> damaged our rankings on Google and as a result, we're trying to clear
>> things up.  Our website url is www.entrust.net.
>>
>> We noticed the following links are pointing to our website from your
>> site:
>> http://pe.sugarlabs.org/wiki/index.php?title=
>> Get_Automated_With_Account_Registration_Software&diff=42656&oldid=0
Someone has been deliberately adding unrelated content to the Sugar Labs
wiki to artificially boost Entrust's rankings.

Here are a few cached examples:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:SX1ej3fDoL0J:ar.sugarlabs.org/wiki/index.php%3Ftitle%3DUsuario:NeffLarge469%26action%3Dedit+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=iceweasel-a

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:hIEYFZfkI3oJ:ar.sugarlabs.org/wiki/index.php%3Ftitle%3DSecuring_Your_Wireless_Net_Connection%26action%3Dedit+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=iceweasel-a

Entrust's request appears to be legitimate.
> FWIW, we get a lot of Link removal requests of this type that you were
> dealing with over the weekend to Conservancy.  Tony has been
> investigating this issue since October 2013, so he likely has something
> to report on this.  The prevouis one came from a "Reuben Barrett"
> regarding:
>>> http://cl.sugarlabs.org/wiki/index.php?title=Sarah690&printable=yes
>>> http://cl.sugarlabs.org/wiki/index.php?title=Sarah690&oldid=129102
I don't have much to add.  Barrett's site, coalters.com, is for his real
estate agency in York, England.  There wouldn't be any legitimate reason
for links to their site to have appeared in the wiki either.

Best,
-Tony

--
Tony Sebro, General Counsel, Software Freedom Conservancy
+1-212-461-3245 x11
tony at sfconservancy.org
www.sfconservancy.org